ru en

ГОЛОСУЙТЕ ЧЕРЕЗ:

Или пройдите быструю регистрацию

Request password reset

Please fill out your email.
A link to reset password will be sent there

0
After
Before

Bakhmetevsky bus garage transformation

November 28, 2017 Category: Architecture

Bakhmetevsky Bus Garage was a public bus garage in Moscow, designed in 1926 by Konstantin Melnikov (floorplan concept and architectural design) and Vladimir Shukhov (structural engineering) to house British Leyland buses. The building, completed in 1927, was an example of applying avant-garde architectural methods to an industrial facility.

Bakhmetevsky bus garage transformation

The territory given by the Moscow Government was situated close to the already built by that time Moscow Jewish Community Center. The community received it in January 2001, two years after the transportation facilities had moved out. By that time the building was in a miserable condition, the roof was absent in some places, chaos prevailed inside, it was typical abandoned working space.

The situation set new tasks for the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia – to restore the building of the Bakhmetevsky Bus Garage and to fit the museum into the historic look of the monument of the Russian Constructivism. The Charity Fund of Arts Development and Support Iris founded by Darya Zhukova who is now the member of the Jewish Museum and Tolerance Center Board of Trustees was asked to carry out restoration works. Land sanitization was carried out; all necessary utility lines were conducted. The Center of Contemporary Arts Garage was opened in the new building of the former bus depot in 2008. Garage occupied the space since then until it moved out in December, 2011.

At the same time a closed tender for the garage building reconstruction aiming at transforming it into a modern cultural center was announced. Internationally renowned architects were invited to participate in this tender, and by 2009 the final version of the project was published. According to it the garage remained untouched, only the floor surface was to undergo changes. Ralph Appelbaum (RAA) supervised the realization of the concept. The Museum was opened on November 11, 2012.

It was better
Got better